For something completely different! New toy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

For something completely different! New toy

Post by janesy »

A couple years ago I came a across. A MINT 1988 Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen. Previous owner had fluted the bolt and dropped it in a new CDL stock. I bought it right away with plans to give it to my son for his 18th birthday. Problem is, I started Moose hunting again and want to carry it so so badly. But I won't . Here it is as purchased by me

Over the past month I was able to strike up a deal with a fellow in BC for a matching copy 1988 Classic in 35W slightly hunted and also in a CDL stock. This one has not been altered aside from the stock, so I'll be able to put the factory bolt into my son's gun and give him a somewhat original Classic Whelen on his birthday coming up in 2033.

Here's what I have coming in the mail right now. Minus the scope.

Now I'm not particularly superstitious unless you bring a banana in my boat. But shortly after I bought the first rifle, I was given as an Xmas gift, an unopened bottle of Canadian Club Whiskey. And have a look and the seal date...
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Re: For something completely different! New toy

Post by xcaliber »

Very nice!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

You know those bolts are numbered, lapped and fitted to each rifle? I’m thinking if you swap the bolts it’s best to have both custom fitted buy a proper gunsmith unless you have the skill set.
I love those guns and the 35 whelan is a great caliber for moose. Built off the TIMELESS 3006.
Very nice indeed.
I want one but I have too many firearms now lol.
Wayne

Ps that fluted bolt might already be accurized by the gunsmith who fluted it. What that means to me is the the bolt, firing pin and barrel are all lined up in a perfect strait line the locking lugs are lapped in and squared to the barrel.
Last edited by Stepnoutnb on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 am
You know those bolts are numbered, lapped and fitted to each rifle? I’m thinking if you swap the bolts it’s best to have both custom fitted buy a proper gunsmith unless you have the skill set.
I love those guns and the 35 whelan is a great caliber for moose. Built off the TIMELESS 3006.
Very nice indeed.
Wayne
Wayne, rem700's bolts are number with the last 4 digits of the rifles serial # and shipped with a corresponding rifle, but are not lapped or fitted beyond a GO-NO-GO and proof test. In fact I think they only use a No-Go. As the SAAMI chamber is very forgiving with factory ammo with typically long throats. It's well documented that often the wrong bolts were shipped with the wrong rifles with no adverse effect.

That aside, I'll absolutely be running a no-go gauge through both rifles before even considering firing them. :thumbup:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 am
Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 am
Very nice indeed.
Wayne
Wayne, rem700's bolts are number with the last 4 digits of the rifles serial # and shipped with a corresponding rifle, but are not lapped or fitted beyond a GO-NO-GO and proof test. In fact I think they only use a No-Go. As the SAAMI chamber is very forgiving with factory ammo with typically long throats. It's well documented that often the wrong bolts were shipped with the wrong rifles with no adverse effect.

Wow didn’t think they never custom fitted the bolts. Sounds like you got it covered. Beautiful guns.
Wayne
That aside, I'll absolutely be running a no-go gauge through both rifles before even considering firing them. :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:27 am

Wow didn’t think they never custom fitted the bolts. Sounds like you got it covered. Beautiful guns.
Wayne
Truth be told on a Remington action, in factory form, the only adjustment is how far in you twist the barrel.

But I appreciate you bringing that up, as I had always considered that I would be keeping these guns forever, only to pass on off to the boy. I suppose it would be prudent to document the changes for his sake down the road. Thanks!
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am
Stepnoutnb wrote:

Wayne
Truth be told on a Remington action, in factory form, the only adjustment is how far in you twist the barrel.

But I appreciate you bringing that up, as I had always considered that I would be keeping these guns forever, only to pass on off to the boy. I suppose it would be prudent to document the changes for his sake down the road. Thanks!
Savage use that big Locking Nut to adjust their barrels no-go, slick Idea.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....that sure looks like a lefty 700...I own one....back years ago the gun went off on its own by just engaging the the bolt! :shock: :eusa-doh:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:48 pm
janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am
Stepnoutnb wrote:

Wayne

Savage use that big Locking Nut to adjust their barrels no-go, slick Idea.
Ya, they make a hybrid setup called a Remage that lets you use a savage nut to headspace a barrel into a 700 receiver with only minor machining. It's cool, but I haven't tried it yet
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

amythntr wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:05 pm
....that sure looks like a lefty 700...I own one....back years ago the gun went off on its own by just engaging the the bolt! :shock: :eusa-doh:
JEEZ man! You just made me double take my own purchase haha! It's definately not a lefty. :lol:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme

Post by newbie »

Chris looking to adopt? I'm over 18 so.... :lol:

Awesome work of art bud!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:20 pm
amythntr wrote:
JEEZ man! You just made me double take my own purchase haha! It's definately not a lefty. :lol:
....now you are gonna make me look at mine :shock: ....seems to me I would be holding the rifle with my left hand and working the bolt with my right hand....but what do I know :eusa-think:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

amythntr wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:23 am
janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:20 pm
amythntr wrote:
....now you are gonna make me look at mine :shock: ....seems to me I would be holding the rifle with my left hand and working the bolt with my right hand....but what do I know :eusa-think:....but the comb is undoubtedly righty! :eusa-think:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My neighbor has his go off closing the bolt also .. l assume they stick. .dunno.
Great gun l have a pre 64 win. O6 But l love the 700s
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:02 am
My neighbor has his go off closing the bolt also .. l assume they stick. .dunno.
Great gun l have a pre 64 win. O6 But l love the 700s
https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/remington-model-700-and-model-seven-notice
http://xmprecall.remington.com/
Some people just like stepping on rakes