mossberg slug gun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spike

mossberg slug gun

Post by spike »

Does anyone know anything about the mossberg 500 Deer GA - it is a synthetic stock and fully rifled with a 24 inch barrel. The barrel is tapped and drilled for a scope. I don't think the one that I am looking at is one half the combo (field and slug ) that you see offered at Cabelas or Bass pro. I understand that the mossbergs are pretty basic but dependable. I don't know anything about the accuracy of the rifled barrel which is my main concern.

Spike
ROGER
xcaliber

Re: mossberg slug gun

Post by xcaliber »

The 500 series is a pretty good entry level gun. The rifled barrel is for Sbot Type Slugs only, yes the more expensive ones. The rifled barrel with sabots will give you 100 yard capabilities easily.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

usually the 500-s have a cantelever scope base.its a scope base that is part of the barrel. never seen a drilled and tapped barrel. some of the receivers are tapped.i have a 20 guage 500 that i will put against any fancy slugger. my brother has a 12 guager that easily groups at 100 yards. the bad news is that the ammo is 10$ plus a box. accurate though. federal copper slugs,winchester partition golds is what they use.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

I have no experience with the Mossberg. I did however have a Rem 870 Special purpose duck 3.5 inch gun. I purchased a fully rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope. As mentioned above you must use a sabot slug. I tried 4 different types. The 2 most/equally accurate were The Winchester & Federal lead mushroom shaped c/w a 2 piece fall away sabot. Both these rounds were 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Shooting from my bench rest set up. The more expensive and faster shells both solid copper and lead copper plated were NOT VERY ACCURATE from that setup.
You will need to try different loads.
Good Luck
Wayne
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I have a remington 870 express, 20 GA., cantilever scope bbl., shooting hornady SST, light recoil for grandson, he got his first 2 deer this past youth season, one at 115 yds, the other at 80 yds. both dropped in their tracks, no blood trailing. the slugs were pricey but found a few on sale for $10 per 5.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I had a mossberg rifled bolt action slug gun years ago. Was very finicky...shot way different when clean than dirty then shot different when it was a little to dirty sold the pia.
I have a cantilever scope 870 smooth bore with a long rifled tube and a 4x leupold that will put almost every brand of foster slug in a cigarette pack under a hundred yards after a hundred yards speed of sound catches up and accuracy falls to hell.
But for my Pennsylvania hunting a hundred yards is plenty l find no need for a sabot shotgun .
A foster slug sure hammers em like no other.
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Personally, I'm not a Mossberg fan. Doesn't fit me well, and being an 870 guy the controls are never where they are supposed to be :lol: .

BUT in all reality, they are just as reliable as any expensive shotgun and would probablyhave to be run over by a truck to break down with normal use.

As far as accuracy goes, with a sabot barrel you just have to try different ammo. There is no rhyme or reason in my experience. Some eat everything, some are finniky.

Most rifled barrels like Rem premier Accutips, in 2.75". I'd say many people's issues arrive from them dismissing the 2.75 and going straight to 3". But more often than not the extra speed hinders the accuracy and they blame the gun. Here's a tip that hasn't really caught on yet...

Cheap and accurate. Not sure why nobody used them

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
spike

Post by spike »

many thanks to those who took the time to reply and provide good advice. I now have a 20g Mberg 500 slug gun.
ROGER
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

spike wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:54 am
many thanks to those who took the time to reply and provide good advice. I now have a 20g Mberg 500 slug gun.
Congrats on your new purchase. :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I am not a frequent poster on here but do follow postings quite frequently.
I have the Remington 870 with the cantilever mounted scope and have found accuracy is directly affected
by the speed of the the sabot slug used.
It settles in very nicely with slugs around 1500-1600 fps and will spray anything around 1900 or over.
All has to do with the twist in the rifled barrel.
One has to be tuned in with the other.
There are custom barrels available to match any bullet speed.
The technology for shooting slugs out of a shotgun is way behind rifles.
I remember when they first introduced slugs and I had a Remington shotgun with a full choke.
I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 60 yards!
Missed a chance at 50 yards broadside!!
How can you miss a deer at 50 yards?
Well,I sure did!
Match your barrel to the shell and you will shoot the lights out.
Bob
Bob Vandrish.
janesy

Post by janesy »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:30 am
I have the Remington 870 with the cantilever mounted scope and have found accuracy is directly affected
It settles in very nicely with slugs around 1500-1600 fps and will spray anything around 1900 or over.
I remember when they first introduced slugs and I had a Remington shotgun with a full choke.
Well,I sure did!
Bob
A perfect example of this is the Savage 220. They matched it to a 3" premier Accutips 20G and they are like a rifle.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:30 am
Well,I sure did!
Bob
Yes sir I agree as I stated in my earlier post I had the same gun and likely the same barrel. The faster slugs were all over the place. The slower slugs shot a great group consistently.