Spine Indexing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Spine Indexing

Post by CT.HNTR »

When building ones own bolts is it truly important to spine index them or is this mostly hype? If truly important how are you performing this task of spine indexing? Is there a jig or tool that is used?

Thanks,

Don
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
longbow joe

Re: Spine Indexing

Post by longbow joe »

On a good brand shaft such as a zombie or executioner
I would not bother with it.
It depends on how anal you are.
I have everything I need to fletch my own bolts. But anymore l just use factory fletched zombies .
Out of dozens and dozens l have yet to get a bad one .They always group well to 50 yards.lts not worth my effort to make them ...got other things to do..l have never had a factory fletched zombie or executioner loose a vane unless it was hit by another bolt. I used to have an arrow making buisness in the 80s and 90s .....tired of sniffing glue. Lol.
Even during a pandemic l wont make them.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

When you have the spine or cock vane position located, you are reducing the amount of work to get the most perfect set of arrows. Even with the cock vane located, theres no guarantee that the dynamic and static spines are located at the same spot even though it's likely the 2 will coinside. So you if get you install your cock vane according to your static spine you still have to shoot the arrow to confirm that it groups with the others.
Before I introduced the BEA to this forum, I had discussions with Randy Kitts at BEA. I was convinced that the factory built arrows were substandard accuracy wise to custom as well as thinking the shafts need indexing, weight matching yada, yada, yadda. Randy convinced me to shoot some of the run of the mill BEA built Executioners out of by badest bow (405). Well poop my pants, they shot inside of 1" at 50 yrs. Not convinced, I slapped on G5 Strikers. Mmmmm, barely over 1"! Not to be proven all wrong I installed G5 Striker Magnums and they shot 1.5" to 2" at 50 yds.
Moral of the story? I am stubborn and BEA shoot really well without screwing around.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I enjoy fetching my own. But I also use the factory fletched arrows and no complaints with either! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don’t do it, and get very good accuracy to 50 yards. Does it work? :eusa-think:
For me, I’ll skip it.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

I agree with Boo that Black Eagle arrows are very consistent and do not require spine indexing, especially the Zombie .001 line . However , I index them just to improve the uniform consistency of a group of 12 or 6 where indexing can and does reduce consistency over a non indexed factory dozen.

Above in photo is my Ram Spine tester (top) built to my specs using roller weight hooks instead of the Ram supplied Delrin plastic hooks that exhibit drag.
Also, I had Ram Custom make the roller blocks adjustable for any length arrow which is a desirable feature.

Next, the supporting roller bearings were upgraded to round edge bearing to improve load bearing support.

Lastly, the factory supplied 1.94 lb weight was modified to accept an add a weight to bring the total weight to 3.5 pounds. I feel the extra weight assists determining spine on a short stiff crossbow arrow.

Featured in the middle photo is the Firenock Aero Preparation tool to square ends and on the bottom the Firenock Aerovane Jig for precise fetching attachment and orientation.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Geeze norm that's impressive machinery!
You and my brother would get along great.
My .357 reloads are never good enough for our Sunday shooting escapades....hes got every reloading contraption known to man....mine are just "reloads" not works of art like his.. I'm starting to de-clutter all of my must have machines..... l think I'm done with my stinky feather burner that l had to have lol...l simply dont have room for all these things.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 pm
Geeze norm that's impressive machinery!
You and my brother would get along great.
My .357 reloads are never good enough for our Sunday shooting escapades....hes got every reloading contraption known to man....mine are just "reloads" not works of art like his.. I'm starting to de-clutter all of my must have machines..... l think I'm done with my stinky feather burner that l had to have lol...l simply dont have room for all these things.
But who shoots better lol?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I was gonna go there .....but my eyes are 10 years younger it's not fair to bust on the geezer. ...but l do get pleasure in out shooting him with my non perfect ghetto reloads lol.