Is this REALLY a crossbow???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Czy_Horse

Re: Is this REALLY a crossbow???

Post by Czy_Horse »

janesy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:48 pm
This conversation happened when compound bows came out and still is happening. It probably also happened in medieval times when they made the first crossbow by some umpity long archer who didn't like change. Remember only six months ago the very guys were still trying to take scopes away from the crossbow guys(thanks Nog! :thumbup: )

Fact is, Crossbows as we know them today, will one day be antiquated and a new method will take over. So to say that that particular bow is or isn't a bow is not for me to decide. The recurve bow will in fact one day be surpassed by the next most efficient design, does not look to me that this will be that time. But it's not for me to decide. Whatever floats you boat and puts the pointy end where it needs to go.

Still way to many moving parts for this guy :wink:
At one of my ranges the uppity compound archers have banned crossbows from the archery range.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Czy_Horse wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:23 pm
janesy wrote:
This conversation happened when compound bows came out and still is happening. It probably also happened in medieval times when they made the first crossbow by some umpity long archer who didn't like change. Remember only six months ago the very guys were still trying to take scopes away from the crossbow guys(thanks Nog! :thumbup: )

Fact is, Crossbows as we know them today, will one day be antiquated and a new method will take over. So to say that that particular bow is or isn't a bow is not for me to decide. The recurve bow will in fact one day be surpassed by the next most efficient design, does not look to me that this will be that time. But it's not for me to decide. Whatever floats you boat and puts the pointy end where it needs to go.

At one of my ranges the uppity compound archers have banned crossbows from the archery range.
This is infuriating! Let me guess, their reasoning is that crossbows are too hard on the targets? We've gone through it here and it's been proven to be nonsense.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

My first thought when I saw it was, "Help me, Obi Wan" Princess Lea of Star Wars. :lol:
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

paulaboutform wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:18 am
Czy_Horse wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:23 pm
janesy wrote:

This is infuriating! Let me guess, their reasoning is that crossbows are too hard on the targets? We've gone through it here and it's been proven to be nonsense.

Paul
That was their reasoning, I did not bother butting heads with them. My other range has a much better course, 22 life size 3-d targets, Alligator to Moose.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wow! How'd I know that. We've proven that wrong here...indisputable. You know what is the hardest on targets (you won't believe it), wood arrows with glued in steel points...shot from recurves and longbows. That's the truth.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Torsion crossbow technology is new. However, it utilizes similar draw weight and component types as most legal compound crossbows on the market today. Each state defines its own laws regulating equipment during each hunting season. While many states that allow crossbow hunting do not have laws that would exclude the Torsion Crossbow, it is best to check the regulations in your state for details

I pasted the above from their site.

Interesting concept. Its gonna need tuning because it has pullies. Crossbows derive their name from the image of the limbs creating a cross. However like an earlier comment, it's really just spring energy throwing an arrow with a string. In that regard it is fairly similar from an engineering perspective. Air bows have a totally different form of energy, much closer to an actual firearm because both use expanding gas as a propellant. It is nice and narrow. I wonder how accurate it is? Costs?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Patcon wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Interesting concept. Its gonna need tuning because it has pullies. Crossbows derive their name from the image of the limbs creating a cross. However like an earlier comment, it's really just spring energy throwing an arrow with a string. In that regard it is fairly similar from an engineering perspective. Air bows have a totally different form of energy, much closer to an actual firearm because both use expanding gas as a propellant. It is nice and narrow. I wonder how accurate it is? Costs?
Good point.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

:crazy: :crazy: :wtf:
Species8472 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 pm
DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:05 pm
Not only is this not a crossbow, I don't think you can call it a bow at all. Bows have limbs. This appears to be spring driven.

Bow limbs are actually a type of spring in much the same way the leaf springs on a vehicle are considered springs. Let me muddy the water - All bow limbs are springs but not all springs are bow limbs. That being said I am in agreement - it is not a bow as the "springs" on a bow are by definition limbs and not coils.
:crazy: :crazy: :shock: :shock: :think:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings