Buckshot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Buckshot

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Looking for help from those who use buckshot alot. I have a Mossberg 835 24" barrel with a full choke. I have plenty of 00 and 000 2 3/4" buckshot. Will these be good or should I use another choke or move to smaller buckshot? I know I have to pattern them, just wanted a good starting point. Thanks!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
onebigskittle

Re: Buckshot

Post by onebigskittle »

For Deer hunting I always use a full choke.
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

onebigskittle wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:13 pm
What size buckshot are you using?
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In my area its buckshot and slugs .
The best patterns l get are from dead coyote 00 buck ,hevishot is night and day over regular buckshot no comparison ...extremely expensive but worth it.
I also have the accompanying heavy shot choke tube.
In the simple answer to your question full choke is best .
I have found that the screw in choke tubes are not nearly as good as an old fashioned fixed full.
Me and my friends have found that a good ol Remington 1100 from the 80s that has 30 inch barrel and a long graduated choke that simply does not compare to basically any other gun .
In my opinion the Remington 1100 is the holy grail of buckshot guns although very long.lol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 pm
In my area its buckshot and slugs .
The best patterns l get are from dead coyote 00 buck ,hevishot is night and day over regular buckshot no comparison ...extremely expensive but worth it.
I also have the accompanying heavy shot choke tube.
In the simple answer to your question full choke is best .
I have found that the screw in choke tubes are not nearly as good as an old fashioned fixed full.
Me and my friends have found that a good ol Remington 1100 from the 80s that has 30 inch barrel and a long graduated choke that simply does not compare to basically any other gun .
In my opinion the Remington 1100 is the holy grail of buckshot guns although very long.lol.
Many years ago we hunted deer with dogs, I have a Browning auto 5 with a 30" full choke that I bought in 1965 that shoots 00 buck with about a 12" pattern at 40 yrds. That being said IMO buckshot is the worst thing you can use to kill a deer. If not for the dogs we would have lost a lot of deer.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

deerman41 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:04 pm
That being said IMO buckshot is the worst thing you can use to kill a deer. If not for the dogs we would have lost a lot of deer.
Some states, like WV, don't allow buckshot for this reason. Back in Arkansas I found a doe that was hit with one #1 buckshot pellet in the eye. She went about 250 yards. I found her by pure luck. Not my shooting. :roll:

My brother took a doe with 000 buck that came running by. He shot twice and we found her about 150 yards later. Two 000 pellets landed.

I also watched someone put a pie plate sized pattern of #1 buckshot in the side of a doe at about 35 yards that ran off. It was never found.

Buckshot will kill deer. But it doesn't do a good job of putting them down quickly unless they are very close and blood trails can leave a lot to be desired.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lol deerman l never said buckshot was my favorite weapon we were forced to use it.
And yes 40 yards was basically my limit .
I now hunt with a slug gun lf l go out most times.
The browning will throw a great pattern also l have owned a few but got tired of the shell jams never found them as dependable as a 1100.Nothing as pretty as a Belgian humpback browning with real engraving.
Buskshot is undependable sometimes but if the zombies come or antifa .... that's what l want is buckshot ...you can have your ar15
As said the hevishot is a very big improvement over the lead as far as killing power very much more deadly than lead.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:05 pm
onebigskittle wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:13 pm
What size buckshot are you using?
00 buck
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:40 am
Lol deerman l never said buckshot was my favorite weapon we were forced to use it.
And yes 40 yards was basically my limit .
I now hunt with a slug gun lf l go out most times.
The browning will throw a great pattern also l have owned a few but got tired of the shell jams never found them as dependable as a 1100.Nothing as pretty as a Belgian humpback browning with real engraving.
Buskshot is undependable sometimes but if the zombies come or antifa .... that's what l want is buckshot ...you can have your ar15
As said the hevishot is a very big improvement over the lead as far as killing power very much more deadly than lead.
LOL Exactly what I have under my bed for zombies and antifa with 00 buckshot I ain't trailing them anyway.

:mrgreen:
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

You probably want to limit your shots to 35 yards!
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR