Wow!! No punches pulled!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Wow!! No punches pulled!!

Post by ko4nrbs »

Stumbled onto this video tonight. He definitely has an opinion and doesn't mind expressing it. Is it that common for people to shott at a deer at 100 yards? I've never seen anyone shoot at any animal at 100 yards with a crossbow but that doesn't mean someone hasn't.
Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r5m0Wj66E8
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Re: Wow!! No punches pulled!!

Post by longbow joe »

Is that the one were he shoots a game farm deer and theres another buck directly behind the one hes shooting at.? What a hunter!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My stance on this is exactly what he says about what I'll call Cowboy shots. I know people like that, and I prefer to call them to their face if the opportunity comes, reckless! Archery hunting is at the core is not about how far away the animal is that you shoot, it's about the challenge to bring the animal in for a close, ethical kill. We as hunters have all lost at least one animal over the years, and I will tell you that it haunts you to the core when it happens if you have any real care as a hunter. Sure, we all like accuracy, and speed, etc. But if my plan is to take a shot at a deer, or any other animal that my intention is ti kill, I will use the weapon that offers me the BEST chance for a clean, quick kill, PERIOD. If one of my hunting buddies thinks it's okay to brag about a 100 yard crossbow shot on any animal, I will do my best to brag about running over their bow with my truck! Over the years my attitude towards careless & reckless hunters has cost me a few friends, but I don't like running with dip sticks anyway, so it really cost me nothing. I like all of my shots at 40 yards or less. Ideal is 10 yards, that means I did my part to HUNT that animal!
If my post pisses you off, good!
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

:thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
grouse

Post by grouse »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 am
My stance on this is exactly what he says about what I'll call Cowboy shots. I know people like that, and I prefer to call them to their face if the opportunity comes, reckless! Archery hunting is at the core is not about how far away the animal is that you shoot, it's about the challenge to bring the animal in for a close, ethical kill. We as hunters have all lost at least one animal over the years, and I will tell you that it haunts you to the core when it happens if you have any real care as a hunter. Sure, we all like accuracy, and speed, etc. But if my plan is to take a shot at a deer, or any other animal that my intention is ti kill, I will use the weapon that offers me the BEST chance for a clean, quick kill, PERIOD. If one of my hunting buddies thinks it's okay to brag about a 100 yard crossbow shot on any animal, I will do my best to brag about running over their bow with my truck! Over the years my attitude towards careless & reckless hunters has cost me a few friends, but I don't like running with dip sticks anyway, so it really cost me nothing. I like all of my shots at 40 yards or less. Ideal is 10 yards, that means I did my part to HUNT that animal!
Dan
I could not agree more! My personal maximum distance I would try a crossbow shot at a deer is 40 yards but I've never actually shot deer much over 30 yards. I have been shooting since I was 6 or 7 years old and was a trained army infantryman. I can shoot well, but I'm no fan of excessively long shots at game animals whether with a rifle of bow. Save the long shots for non living targets. There are too many variables when we shoot at living animals at extreme ranges.
axiom
350 SE
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

If I can't get within 30-yards I'm not hunting....
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'm sorry to admit this but I will shoot deer at 100+ yards if all conditions are favourable! I purposely sight in at 100 yards.

With my savage 10ml ii muzzleoader! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 am
Dan
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldn't have been more eloquent or to the point!! Bravo!!
I am one of those unique individuals that for a period of about 15 years carried a long range bolt action customized rifle for a living. Travelled all over participating in "matches" to hone a skill that you hope and pray that you never have to use.
Truth be told, most people CANNOT accurately judge distances past 50-60 yards. I've had many a "hunter" tell me he shot a deer at 500 yards, then when ask to show me, it was more like 150 yards. :eusa-doh:
As distances increase, so does the wind drift, parabolic curvature of the earth, actual rotation of said earth, mirage, the direction of the sun light and about a hundred different things. (I'm talking Old School counter-sniper techniques, not some push a button app on your phone stuff).
So many things go into making a critical shot at long range, if you actually slow it down and think about it, you'd go "nope, think I'm gonna wait".
I can proudly say that I have NEVER shot a deer with any kind of bow at over 35 yards. Most are under 20.

A rifle is a different story, but NO BOW regardless of manufacturer is a Rifle. Leave the long range stuff to the things that go "BOOM"!!! :wink:

Just the ramblings of a Redneck from East Texas :mrgreen:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

When I hunted with a vertical compound, I tried to have deer close enough to spit on them. Now with the crossbow, 30 yards and closer.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Carnivorous wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm
I'm sorry to admit this but I will shoot deer at 100+ yards if all conditions are favourable! I purposely sight in at 100 yards.

With my savage 10ml ii muzzleoader! Lol
And a darn good choice I must say! :thumbup: :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Back in my younger days with compound I went out west and hunted Muley's. Out there they commonly shot 50 yards and sometimes 80. Now muley's are a while lot calmer than whitetails. They routinely will stop and stare at you for a long time. In Wi. it is a whole different story. Seldom do I take a shot over 20 yards and usually closer. Being sort of mature I would never shoot over 40 yards. This guy is spot on.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I killed a buck last year at 40 yards as measured with my Range Finder. Seemed like a longer shot than that at the time. No 50 yard shots for me. Was lucky to find an opening in the brush for a 40 yard shot. Had my share of arrows getting tangled up in limbs never to be seen again.

He was so interested in my decoy he ignored me. Took the shot and double lunged him. It all worked out.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I completely agree with him and applaud his choice of words.

Back in July I confirmed that the Micro 400 Suppressor is capable of outstanding accuracy at 100 yards...from a bench, with a rest, with low/no wind at a stationary target, with the right arrows. But that's target shooting, not hunting game.

To help remember every deer kill, I've kept a log with details of every one I've ever harvested. I've harvested 48 deer with archery equipment and only two of them were beyond 40 yards. Oddly enough, the two beyond 40 yards were 48 yards last year and 41 yards this week. But 40 of 48 deer were within 30 yards and the average distance was 24 yards. I've shot deer at 38 yards (alert) and 41 yards (calm) that moved significantly before the impact. Yet the one at 48 yards never moved and was hit great. If you want to keep the odds in your favor, keeping shots at 30 yards or under will save a lot of heartache.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: