question on bolt broadhead weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

eddie0225

question on bolt broadhead weight

Post by eddie0225 »

I've got an Axiom SMF and never have found out the proper weight of bolt broadhead combo actually suggested for this crossbow. I've been shooting a combo of 20" firebolts and 125 grain and 100-grain broadheads I prefer heavier broadheads but seems it's hard to find a good cut on contact broadhead I like Mangus Stingers but also have had really good luck and performance from Swhacker razor252's really sturdy awesome broadhead would love to find a good 125 or 150 designed like this one as its been a beast. I've killed 5 deer so far with one broadhead bolt combo clean it off and they are ready to go. But like asked to begin with what is the suggested weight of bolt and broadhead for this crossbow?? Any info from the admin would be helpful or anyone with an owner's manual.
ko4nrbs

Re: question on bolt broadhead weight

Post by ko4nrbs »

The only specification I have seen is for a speed of 305 fps with a 350 grain arrow and 150 grain field points. It really boils down to what broadhead/arrow combination works best for you. Do a web search on arrow FOC and go from there. Too light an arrow/broadhead combination could damage your crossbow and will give you unsatisfactory results.

This guy shoots an Axiom and had used it for about 10 years. See what he uses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989S4lU9YhE

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I like to use a min 400gr arrow.

Great momentum and enough Kinetic energy to kill a Buffalo!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
eddie0225

Post by eddie0225 »

I guess I should say is does anyone know if shooting the Axiom using 20" firebolts weighing according to packaging 265 grains with a broadhead weighing in at 100 grains making total of 365 grains for the bolt weight would be considered to lite a setup? Or 390 grains with a 125 grain head, I know it shoots great with both. I was just curious if there was a minimum said or posted in any of the paperwork or onsite anywhere?
Eddie
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Most of us here are shooting a 100 grain head with a 100 -110 grain brass insert and in the 400 to 425 grain range so yes it's on the light side.
Nothing wrong with your setup but the excalibur bows were designed to shoot a 150 grain boltcutter l feel you are robbing yourself of kinetic energy and a little accuracy.
I guarantee a 400 grain with say 200 grains up front (insert,point)will shoot better and quieter than what you have now.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
eddie0225

Post by eddie0225 »

Thank you I think thats what I was wanting to find out . I' fairly new to crossbows and only happened into an Excalibur Axiom because a friend had one and I traded him out of it. I needed a crossbow quick as my shoulder had well lets say had a problem I'd pulled it out of socket so I couldn't pull and hold my compound anymore. Either way like I said I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't shooting to lite as to do harm to the bow as I've fell in love with this noisy but wicked bow. I'm probably gonna go with a new broadhead @150 grains that should pull it up where your talking about. I know the bolts drive in harder with 125 older Mangus heads. Thanks again
Eddie