Tac 100 scope problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turtleman

Tac 100 scope problem

Post by Turtleman »

I have a problem with getting my 355 micro sighted in just right. I have a tac 100 mounted on the bow. 20 -50 yds is driving tacks. At 60 yds is 2” high. Backed up to 80 yds and is around 8” high. What’s some thoughts because this has me scratching my head? Is it the scope dots not right or do I need to adjust the FPS up some? Seems moving the FPS up brings shots down and lowering FPS brings shots up. If I adjust speed will change the 20 -50 from dead on. What’s some thoughts on the subject?
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
xcaliber

Re: Tac 100 scope problem

Post by xcaliber »

Are you trying to win a prize, or are you going to deer hunt with it? 50 yards is a far shot for an ethical kill in my opinion. Maybe you should set the farther distances dead on, and then back out shooting and see what happens. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

You've honed in on an issue without a simple fix. What we have is a scope that can account for the differences in launch speed. The reticle is calibrated for an arrow that launches at a certain speed then slows down at a specific rate. But the scope can't account for how fast the arrow slows down. Different weight arrows and points and different fletching applications (ie. straight vs helical) can cause an arrow to carry speed farther or lose speed more quickly. There really is no one-size-fits-all reticle because there is no way to account for both variables. The speed ring only accounts for one.

You've likely already done the best you can. If you're dead on out to 50, you're golden because that covers hunting distances. You'll have to become familiar with how the other aiming points impact.

The difficult fix is to figure out the recipe for an arrow that has a drag profile that matches the reticle. It would be interesting to see if someone has figured it out already. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the stock arrows with 150gr tips. That just means that anyone with custom arrows could run in to the issue you see.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:40 pm
You've honed in on an issue without a simple fix. What we have is a scope that can account for the differences in launch speed. The reticle is calibrated for an arrow that launches at a certain speed then slows down at a specific rate. But the scope can't account for how fast the arrow slows down. Different weight arrows and points and different fletching applications (ie. straight vs helical) can cause an arrow to carry speed farther or lose speed more quickly. There really is no one-size-fits-all reticle because there is no way to account for both variables. The speed ring only accounts for one.

You've likely already done the best you can. If you're dead on out to 50, you're golden because that covers hunting distances. You'll have to become familiar with how the other aiming points impact.

The difficult fix is to figure out the recipe for an arrow that has a drag profile that matches the reticle. It would be interesting to see if someone has figured it out already. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the stock arrows with 150gr tips. That just means that anyone with custom arrows could run in to the issue you see.
I would have said that too if I knew it, and wasn't on my second glass of cider! :lol: :lol: Every scope has it's limitations. :thumbup:
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

No xcalibur not trying to win a prize just trying to get the most I can out of the scope and trying to be as good a shot as I can be. No I won’t shoot at a deer past 60, too risky.
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Yeah duckhunt, that is about what I figured with a custom setup. It’s good for hunting but just wanted to push the scope to the limit and myself.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Again, set your last mark dead on and blackout shooting. The adjustments needed at the farthest distance are greater than up close. All scopes have a limit. Sorry if that came out snarky!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Turtleman wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:10 pm
Yeah duckhunt, that is about what I figured with a custom setup. It’s good for hunting but just wanted to push the scope to the limit and myself.
My Micro 400 is pretty close. I only had to make minor adjustments to get it hitting well enough to shoot targets out to 100. I just changed my settings back after my shooting session. For my Matrix 350, I'm good to about 60 before things start to be off. The Micro 335 that I passed on to my daughter had a Trophy Ridge scope and it was probably a little worse than what you're seeing. Its dead on out to 40, but I'm over an inch high at 50 and it gets much higher at each further step. I didn't even try it beyond 60. Its good to know where it is shooting at the longer distances, but it has to dead nuts inside of 40 yards for me.

You'll learn real quick that arrows and shooting form can make a world of difference once the distance stretches out. A jerk of the trigger can send an arrow off by a couple feet at 100 yards. The bows are generally more accurate than most of us shooters are capable of, at least consistently. Take away my shooting rest and I wouldn't even attempt to shoot 100 yards with an arrow I wanted to see again. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Turtleman wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:07 pm
No xcalibur not trying to win a prize just trying to get the most I can out of the scope and trying to be as good a shot as I can be. No I won’t shoot at a deer past 60, too risky.
So you are only 2” high at 60, your predetermined limit in hunting. If you bring it down to dead nuts, your 20 won’t change much at all. You are set! Late forum member Awshucks used to say” Don’t sweat the petty stuff, and don’t pet the sweaty stuff“.😎
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

[/quote]
Late forum member Awshucks used to say” Don’t sweat the petty stuff, and don’t pet the sweaty stuff“.😎
[/quote]
Good advice right there.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hatchet wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:56 am
Late forum member Awshucks used to say” Don’t sweat the petty stuff, and don’t pet the sweaty stuff“.😎
[/quote]
Good advice right there.
[/quote]

Yeppers...very sound advice!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!