Charger Crank

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbowman

Charger Crank

Post by bigbowman »

I'm not having good luck with my Excalibur equipment lately! Last night I was adjusting the brace height on my Nightmare and the spring let go on my crank. Left a heck of a bruise on my belly!

Now I had to ship it back to Excalibur today to get it fixed.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
wheelsquad

Re: Charger Crank

Post by wheelsquad »

Yikes! So the spring for the clutch broke so that when you let go of the handle, instead of holding it freewheeled?
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

ouch and then some ! I would send that and maybe get a back up one .
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Yes it was set to crank. I was trying to adjust my brace height. Sounded like Something cracked and the handle went spinning cracking my fingers and my belly. It hurt like a dickens!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Please tell me you sent that pic in with your RMA.

You are having a rough month with the gear. I hadn't heard much on the cranks breaking. But I do squint a little when I get to the top of my 370. New to cranks, not sure I trust them yet. Hopefully you're backing business soon.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don’t use the crank to hold the string aide, and I’m pretty sure the instructions say that as well. So please do that so you don’t get another beating. Glad to hear you’re okay, and I’m sure Excalibur has your back.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

I've used my charger ext crank to change strings twice and brace height 5 times. I cant find instructions anywhere that says not to use it on a stringing aid. I have found it works best if I move the plastic sleeve to the side and place the hooks on the string portion of the aid. Why do you suggest not using for that? Not trying to argue, just trying to learn.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Mostly because of my physical limitations in not being able to decock by myself, I've figured out a unique and super safe way for me to adjust brace height. Even with the fail safe strap on the Charger EXT I can't control things well enough by myself.

- Remove riser
- Run stringing aide rope around front frame tube of atv and hook ends to limbs
- Put loop strap around stirrup and hook to chain hoist hook
- Pull up chain hoist hook until string is loose
- Lower chain hoist and check brace height. Lift chain hoist hook again if more adjustment needed

It's way more putzy than the way you all are able to do it, but I was pretty happy figuring out how to do all this tinkering without help, finally.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ankh wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 pm
I've used my charger ext crank to change strings twice and brace height 5 times. I cant find instructions anywhere that says not to use it on a stringing aid. I have found it works best if I move the plastic sleeve to the side and place the hooks on the string portion of the aid. Why do you suggest not using for that? Not trying to argue, just trying to learn.
The stringing aids are adjustable and should be set so that the trigger mechanism which is engineered to hold the weight of the bow is the safest way to adjust or change a string. In the instructions for a crescent wrench it does not warn against using it as a hammer, sometimes you have to use common sense. I’m pretty sure the string aide, and the Charger are designed to be used in a safe manner. I’m not going to argue about somebody else and their level of common sense, additionally I’m not going to look for instructions since my common sense says it’s safer to use the trigger latches.
My opinion, hopefully someone else follows a safer method to perform the maintenance requirements.
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

Sorry if I hit a nerve, I'm honestly just trying to figure out what I'm missing here (maybe I do lack common sense). My procedure is to put stringing aid on limbs, then attach charger crank hooks to the aid, finally I crank the aid back until it goes past the adf and is secured by the trigger latch. I place on safe then change my string/brace height and let the aid down. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ankh wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:59 pm
Sorry if I hit a nerve, I'm honestly just trying to figure out what I'm missing here (maybe I do lack common sense). My procedure is to put stringing aid on limbs, then attach charger crank hooks to the aid, finally I crank the aid back until it goes past the adf and is secured by the trigger latch. I place on safe then change my string/brace height and let the aid down. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.
That’s exactly what you’re supposed to do. :thumbup:
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Just to be clear! I was cranking the Charger crank to adjust the brace height when something snapped and the crank starting flying backwards on it's own! I crank the crank till the rope is clearly behind the antidryfire and is locked in the trigger fork! It never got that far!
janesy

Post by janesy »

bigbowman wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:19 pm
Just to be clear! I was cranking the Charger crank to adjust the brace height when something snapped and the crank starting flying backwards on it's own! I crank the crank till the rope is clearly behind the antidryfire and is locked in the trigger fork! It never got that far!
I think this is a good opportunity to remind everyone that the crank comes with a wrist strap to avoid exactly this scenario. Not at all pointing at you Brian, I haven't taken the wrist strap out of the package yet myself. But last night in the dark letting down my 370 was touch and go. Then I see this post.

The wrist strap is there in case any situation other then ideal happens. Either operator error or mechanical failure.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

Thanks all, I think I'm back on the right track now.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You guys are right! It does make sense to use the latches as well as the wrist strap. Of course I’m not a shinning example. Having used a Charger more than most, I stopped using the wrist strap and the latches a while ago. Same guy who has shot a bow with the C2 still attached. It hurt!
Complacency = stupid = pain = hold my beer :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes