Looks like I'll be turkey hunting with shotgun this spring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Looks like I'll be turkey hunting with shotgun this spring

Post by hunter with MS »

It blows looks like I will be hunting turkey with a shotgun instead of my crossbow this spring . As I will be taking chemo for cancer that I have fought for a few years. I got a little challenge with the gun I will be using a 410 with the over priced tss shells so I have to get them into 25 or 30 yards.Best thing no recoil and they are light weight .
longbow joe

Re: Looks like I'll be turkey hunting with shotgun this spring

Post by longbow joe »

Very sorry 😞 your in our prayers . Shotgun or bow its all cool no worries just get well!!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Thanks it is a form I can't or they can't kill .All you can do is stay even with it . So far it has been 6 or so years .
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Shotgun or bow you are still hunting at least . :)
Take care
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Enjoy every day! I wanted to use the .410 setup, but Indiana has a 20 gauge minimum. Anyway, it makes it a bit tougher, and exciting, good luck. We will also have you in our Prayers. Hope it goes well for another good stretch for you after the treatment.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The Tss 410 shells are going for $28.00 a box of 5 you don't practice with them and they are hard to get .
artifact

Post by artifact »

Enjoy the hunt, you get one in range you should be fine using a .410 and the tss shells.
Last year I peppered a long beard @ exactly 40 yds. that I didn't get, 12ga. 870 super Mag., red dot scope, patterned @ 40yds., and the bird was at full strut facing me, I have never been overly impressed with that gun and have shot turkeys at that range or close to it with a Kassnar OU 3" Mag.
Wishing all the best for you, and make sure to post a pic. of that turkey when you get it!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

This year we can take 2 long beards in the same day in our spring season. Maybe I'll get lucky . Thanks for the kind words .
Normous

Post by Normous »

HWMS,
It will be awhile before turkey season and I'm sending best health wishes. My wish is you might be able to use your Excal for at least one of your birds , their light and don't recoil much :wink:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

I wish you the best of luck with this coming spring turkey season. Some days getting a turkey in range is tough regardless of what weapon you are using. I always say - The only thing predictable about turkeys is that they are unpredictable."

Hope your treatments continue to go well, & you have an awesome spring hunt to share & remember! God bless!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

HWMS...
My family's wishes and prayers are sent your way. My wife battled that ugly "C" word for many years. I know first hand the toll it can take on a family, and the I understand the physical "wear and tear" it has on you. I hope GOD blesses you with 2 of the biggest Tom's you've ever seen come this spring!!
Good luck in ALL you do, and have a great season!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

hunter with MS wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:27 pm
It blows looks like I will be hunting turkey with a shotgun instead of my crossbow this spring . As I will be taking chemo for cancer that I have fought for a few years. I got a little challenge with the gun I will be using a 410 with the over priced tss shells so I have to get them into 25 or 30 yards.Best thing no recoil and they are light weight .
Hey it's not that bad! I love turkey hunting with a shotgun. Runnin' and gunnin' is a blast!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Been there done that I used the crossbow for the challenge and no recoil . I took many turkey with a gun I just picked up 2 410 bore turkey shotguns and tss shells since my state has allowed them for turkey .It will be a challenge .Thanks everyone
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

Since I am not that confident calling in turkeys, I sometimes use my Browning Gold 10 (3.5" 10 gauge turkey loads along with an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke). Some days I need all the help I can get!

I hope you have great hunts this spring!
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Prayers for you! Keep enjoying the outdoors...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks