Broadhead Analysis

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Re: Broadhead Analysis

Post by AJ01 »

Perhaps we should shoot squirrels with a 500 grain solid from a .460 Weatherby??? It would indeed be a complete pass thru!!! :wtf: :lol:

Or perhaps figure out a way to launch telephone poles with a ships anchor attached as a broadhead?? :wtf: :eusa-doh:

Fact..... This is a Native American natural point. I found this in Coryell County Texas. Commanche country. Pay attention to what it weighs!!

YES...that is 14 Grams. Not Grains. That's roughly 216 grains. Anybody make a 216 grain broadhead??? :eusa-think:

This is a size comparison.....

Yet this primitive piece of equipment killed Elk, Buffalo, Deer and MEN quite handedly shot at speeds of less than 100-130 fps depending on shaft material. My first vertical bow shot arrows at a mind boggling 170fsp!!!

Figure a 216 grain point shot at 150 fps...
Okay Engineers, what is the KE on that?? According to an energy calculator, it's 10.78 KE. :shock: :wtf:
Once more using an Arrow Kinetic Energy Calculator using my current setup pf 355 fps witha 100g broadhead I get 27.96 KE
(Numbers calculated by using the KE calculator located on "Western Whitetails" homepage).
I'm damn sure no rocket scientist!! :lol: :lol:

If old school technologies (Native American) were quite proficient in killing all sizes of game with a rating of 10.78 KE, then pray tell, why do I need better, faster, slicker, deeper penetrating, more accurate arrow set up? Is it because I'm a worse hunter? Or a lousy shot and I need all the help I can get?

Perplexed in Texas!!! :eusa-doh:

Maybe I'll just go back to killing everything witha 7mm STW!!! :lol: :lol:

BTW....I ain't picking on anyone!! :eusa-naughty:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I wonder how much arrow weight and how close you'd have to be to get a pass through on a whitetail with that point! I bet buffalo looked like a pin cushion before they were clubbed to death! :wtf:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

That's just to poke them in the butt to get them to run off a cliff
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

^^Took the words out of my mouth :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:55 pm
That's just to poke them in the butt to get them to run off a cliff
Ain't no cliffs on the plains of Texas!!! :lol: :lol: Not until you get to the Palo Duro Canyon, that is!! :eusa-doh:

Okay I will admit it. That's a pretty good-sized point. I've got probably 300 or more about the size of a quarter. How many of them would you have to fling in order to kill something the size of a Buffalo?? :eusa-think: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by AJ01 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I bet the natives sat around the fire eating peyote and debating if they should use the tiny bird points or the wide 2 ounce points. Prolly got into a fist fight on top of the fire! :lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:46 pm
I bet the natives sat around the fire eating peyote and debating if they should use the tiny bird points or the wide 2 ounce points. Prolly got into a fist fight on top of the fire! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo.... I wish ya wouldn't talk about MY ancestors like that!!! :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:04 pm
Boo wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:46 pm
Boo.... I wish ya wouldn't talk about MY ancestors like that!!! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

But the point is....No Pun Intended!!! :think: :roll: :lol:

Everybody is gonna shoot what they like and what works for them. If guys wanna shot a 700g arrow at a dang chipmunk, that's their prerogative!!
If I wanna shoot crochet needles at a dadgummed Water Buffaloes, that's my death wish!!! :lol: :lol:
If I wanna hunt Elephants with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and can find someplace to do it, then it's my ass that gets turned to Elephant Toe Jam, not yours!!

The way I see it is like this, we all hunt, and probably most of us fish, but you can bet your behind that NONE of us use identical gear!!
If we did, how boring would this world be???? :eusa-think: :eusa-naughty: :lol:

EAT, HUNT, SLEEP... REPEAT!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

And by the stinking way....
If y'all ain't figured it out yet, I love to poke folks with a sharp stick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:19 pm
And by the stinking way....
If y'all ain't figured it out yet, I love to poke folks with a sharp stick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nawwww! :lol: :lol: :lol: :eusa-dance:
janesy

Post by janesy »

45/70
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Those are some really nice points AJ… the ancient people of the Carolinas were no where near as artistic with their knapping. I do find an occasional corner notched point… there just wasn’t a lot of pretty material to work with.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

OK.....apples and oranges to say the least.

1) Why do you continue to try to equate GUNS to ARROWS? They kill in completely different ways. The difference between a 400gr and 600gr arrow is not the same as the difference between a .22 and a .357 Magnum like you always seem to throw out there. If the 2 arrows I mention have the same BH, and both pass through, the wound channel is exactly the same. The only difference is that the heavy one has a better chance of passing completely through than the lighter one.

2) the 216 gr BH (which is heavier than what many on here shoot by the way). WAS ATTACHED TO AN ARROW. Probably something in the 10 to 12 GPI range depending on wood type and diameter so even if it was 20" long (like the Apaches shot)the total arrow weight was easily above 400gr, SO similar to today. Huh, shocking. Arrows that killed animals a few hundred years ago exhibited the same physics as arrows of today. WHo'd a thunk it. Physics is still physics.

3) KE means nothing when it comes to penetration.

4) There are too many points to discuss regarding your post. Instead of hashing it out here....read this article. It is based on tons of research done on real animals.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5d0443b188b6c900011e0ccc/t/5e9378b48f4a085e431232d4/1586722996915/2019+Terminal+Arrow+Performance+Update.pdf

POKE POKE
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:46 am
OK.....apples and oranges to say the least.

POKE POKE
Keith,

This whole line of these post boils down to one thing, and that's what I'm poking folks about, hunt with whatever YOU want to hunt with, and stop telling other's their set-up is ALL WRONG just because THEY like or shot something different than YOU do!! :thumbup:
And if I am not mistaken, we've been down this road many times before on this forum!! :eusa-think:

And I'm using the term "you" cause it's simpler to write. And you know how us simpletons are!!! :lol:

And NO Keith, I'm NOT picking at YOU!! :eusa-snooty: :eusa-naughty:

To borrow a line, "Physics is still physics", and to add to it, "dead is still dead". :mrgreen: And I've never had anyone, or anything ever come back from being dead to tell me any different!! :lol:

oh...and btw....there are different varieties of apples, and different varieties of oranges....go figure! :lol: :eusa-doh: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

And I'm heading to Africa tomorrow to hunt Elephant with a table fork that I'll shot from a "Potato Launcher"!!
And I'll also be wearing a hazmat suit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deep from the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods and Mental Health Rehab Facility!!! :wave: :wtf: :roll:
Your NOT to Favorite Redneck!! :thumbdown:
AJ
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:18 pm
Those are some really nice points AJ… the ancient people of the Carolinas were no where near as artistic with their knapping. I do find an occasional corner notched point… there just wasn’t a lot of pretty material to work with.
Thank ya Mark!!

I guess my love of this stuff came from my Mother's side of the family. Her Mom was a card carrying Creek (Muskogee Nation). :thumbup:
We have so much stuff laying around we look like a trading post!! :lol: :lol: