Wool pants

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spike

Wool pants

Post by spike »

After many years of service my wool hunting pants are beyond repair. In searching for new ones I came across 'Big Bill' wool pants. Looks like they are Canadian made.

Any one familiar with them? Any other suggestions?
ROGER
CT.HNTR

Re: Wool pants

Post by CT.HNTR »

Filson makes some great wool hunting pants.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
artifact

Post by artifact »

I have worn Columbia Gallatin wool pants, Codet, and Johnson, and was satisfied with all of them. If you want what is probably the best of the best take a look at King of the Mountain wool pants. I never had the Filson wool pants, but do have other Filson products, doubt if you will go wrong with them either.
One thing I got to like on any brand is the 6 pocket cargo pants, not a necessity, but those 2 extra pockets seem to come in handy.
It looks like "Big Bill" is made by Codet. ?
Last edited by artifact on Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valleywalker

Post by Valleywalker »

I’ve had wool big bills for 3-4 years now, the heavier weight olive green cargo model. Very well made, I have worn them alot doing forestry work in the winter as well as splitting wood, plowing the driveway and winter chores around our place as well as hunting of course. Not a single loose stitch or tear. Love them. Wear them for hunting from October onwards unless we get an abnormally warm stretch, gaiters if the snow gets really deep later in the winter.

I ordered them from gostwear.com because I live in the middle of nowhere and no retailers close by. I remember choosing sizing wasn’t easy, I followed the sizing guide on the gostwear website and reading the reviews to try to decipher what size I needed. If I recall they run pretty big. I ended up putting mine in the dryer a bit which shrunk them down close enough for me, still left plenty of room for a pair of thick fleece pants underneath if it gets real cold. Usually
I just wear them with a pair of thick thermal underwear

Edited to add that for me it’s worth spending a couple bucks more on something made in Canada
janesy

Post by janesy »

Unfortunately I don't think they make pants any more. But corporate issue wool garments for lots of hydro and utility companies in the Northern regions of Canada is Stanfields.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
tracer

Post by tracer »

Badlands Silens Fleece coat, pants, bib or Pyre coat, bib .
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
janesy

Post by janesy »

tracer wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:19 pm
Badlands Silens Fleece coat, pants, bib or Pyre coat, bib .
Oohhh, I LOVE my Pyre set.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

When we were going to Colorado most years, I bought a pair from the Surplus place here in town( I think they were Swedish) they worked great and snow would pretty much brush off and not soak thru. Some how hanging in the closet 20 years they have shrunk up pretty bad. Not sure what happened.😎