Gas prices and hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

Gas prices and hunting

Post by terry-1 »

Is anyone here having to change your hunting do to high gas prices? It will not make me any difference hunting at my Farm since I live there, but I have a hunting lease that is about 50 miles round trip on rural one lane roads and I am finding I burn about 1/4 tank of gas by the time I get there drive to my hunting spot and back home again. Thats about 15 dollars in gas right now. I beleive I will end up camping overnight some or staying the whole day morning to dark to get as much hunting as I can in for the $$$ it takes to get there and back. I never really paid much mind to gas before I just filled the tank and did what I like to do but with 3 cars, tractors and farm machines to keep fuel inl cost is unreal when I check my fuel bills at the end of the month. Also I went to buy wheat seed and cattle feed and the prices are all highest in years if not ever. The feeder dealer said he is haveing to pay a extra "fuel" charge for his shipments which is adding to the high prices.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

the guy's that I hunt with have agreed to cancel the moose trip this year.... :( .... it's a 16 hour drive one way (750 miles).... with gas prices the way they are it's too expensive to run 2 trucks with trailers....... :evil: .... the deer around home might just be the ones who get the worst of it though..... :lol:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Tomorrow morning my wife, myself and another couple are heading out west for a 3,000+ round trip.

If it was not for sharing gas expenses with the other couple I doubt very seriously if we woldl be going.

The van gets 30 mpg so that will 100 gallons at about $3 a gallon (if we get by that cheap) so we will both be out of pocket $150 for gas alone..

I'll be sure and take pictures. The elk in Yellowstone should be rutting and bugleing their heads off..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

It's gonna be more expensive to travel this year, but what can we do? They've got us by the short & curlies!... BUT, It sure isn't gonna stop me from doing what I love.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Fortunately, I have a good bowhunting spot about 10 miles from me.....even at that, I probably won't be making as many trips.....in the past, I might run up to hunt for an hour......I'll probably save the fuel to hunt during the best conditions and when I have time to hunt for several hours..........
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I'll keep hunting the same as before. I can't and won't stop. I'll just have to pinch pennies elsewhere.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Since my hunting spot is approx. 285km, than 177 miles, it will mean an increase in my costs, especially when this morning gas was going for as high as 1.20 / litre, than's $4.54 for a US gallon, or $5.46 for a Imperial gallon. :shock:

Even with the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar that's 3.78/4.54 US dollars respectively.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I'm glad now that we purchased (revenue) land instead of a cabin at the lake. The income offsets the gas bill, somewhat. I travel about 75 miles from my back door to our property. I'll stop eating before I stop hunting, uhhhh!! I guess if I hunt I am eating.

Fuel is $1.12 a litre x 4.54 litres to the Can. gallon, total of $5.0848/gal., anyway, to fill my 4x4 full size gas guzzler, its about $110.00- $115.00 a tank full.

If it wasn't for my kids, my wife and I would sell our home here in the city, build a cabin on our property, solar and wind power, get off the utilities company, and just hunt and make love.!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grey Owl
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

No it wont effect my hunting at all since I hunt in a rural country setting within a mile radius of my home, but it is putting a real damper on my fishing. I was at my fishing camp all week last week and only trolled 1 day even though the fish were biting good. I anchored up the rest of the days and fished for Perch. :( :(
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm lucky enough to have good hunting close to home. Most hunts are less than 10 miles round-trip, but that's still about $1.50 per hunt with current gas prices!
Guess I'll have to convince the wife I need to stay longer when I go hunting to cut the hourly costs! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

I hunt two places. One is 60 miles one way the other is 5 miles one way
The place that is 60 miles will get the rut hunt only. Most of my hunting time will be spent at the 5 mile place. And the close one has been beter to me for hunting, more deer and mostle bucks....what can I say?
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
A.W

Post by A.W »

If all goes well this weekend I'll be puting a trailer on my property and be able to stay up there for a weekend at a time. About 160 km (100 miles)round trip.
Last edited by A.W on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

My deer hunting spot(and cottage) is 320 km round trip. I guess I'll be driving up in our Honda Civic in stead of our Grand Caravan! :lol: I'll have cut my cost of gas in half by doing that. :wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Hey Chris4570,

We'll just have to organize more carpooling trips this year. I'm very lucky to have a company truck as part of my employment. No gas, no payment, no isurance. It have been a lifesaver to not have to pay for these things since my wife lost her job. I don't abuse the privilage any more than anyone else at the company :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

ecoaster, where's that perch from!!!!!!! :shock: That's friggin huge! 8)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.