The PERFECT broadhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

peter p

Post by peter p »

It's also the field points.
Not all shoot the same. I was using 100 grain field points and had them dead on but the slick tricks were off.
Bj said to use the 11/32 field points and when I did the slick tricks and field points were both right on.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

A lot of people spend time looking for the "magic bullet" in brands of broadheads, but what really affects accuracy is consistency in arrow assembly.
If you buy a mass produced crossbow arrow you are getting inconsistent groups period. Now some are better than others but they just can't do it as well as you can yourself.

If you pick a broadhead with less exposed planing surface...such as a mech, yes it will fly closer to a field point than an unvented fixed blade when it's attached to untrue arrows or out of an untuned rig.

But if you spend the time to ensure all your arrow spin dead true, and your bow is tuned(in this case cocked consistently true) I guarantee you will shoot groups with your fieldpoints.

I have found that the best BH's are the ones that are coincidentally the most popular.

Muzzy, NAP, Wasp, Barrie and other survivors have a reputation they have earned thu attention to quality control, tight machining tolerances etc.
All of these broadheads are an evolution of perfection over the years, and wouldn't be as reknowned for accuracy, flight, durability etc in a world filled with "high tech" marketing ploys.
Think about it, these heads have survived ALL the latest craze of Montecs, Soncs, Slick tricks, Rockets etc. They are solid performers and remain marketable because they are consistently manufactued, accurate, dependable and above all refined to near perfection.
Example;
Spitfire, one of the best flying heads ever, lethal and accurate as well as tough. It's only flaw was it's lack of a path being cut for the first 1/2 of the ferrule as it passed thru tissue/bone leading to marginal penetration with slower bows.
To improve on it's design NAP put a blade in the tip to cut a path for the ferrule, this retained the flight characteristics that spitfires are known for and at the same time made it so pass thru's were more likely even out of average bows.
I have shot speed rigs for years and have yet to find a brand of broadhead that wouldn't group with fieldpoints when the bow was tuned and arrows spun true.
I personally know that every broadhead has it's ups and downs, but the popular ones are popular for reasons, and the newest designs are only sometimes as good, sometimes they are just a "fashion" just like disco:)
The true test is the test of time..and if they are around 10 years from now or if we are still shooting Muzzy's. Thunderheads etc:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

True tomcat but I sure like my slicktricks and Montec g5's fer now.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!