MY DUMB QUESTION-TILLER

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

MY DUMB QUESTION-TILLER

Post by amythntr »

....Ok , so heard a lot about tiller issues...can someone explain exactly what this is (I think I know but :shock: :oops: )...and what to do, If your "tiller is off?"

Thanks,

Anthony :)

....came across this on crossbowman.com

Crossbow Tiller and Adjustment:
What is tiller?
Tiller is the balance between the two limbs on the crossbow, both identical or nearly identical in pull weight and pull length.
Tell-Tale Signs Of Tiller Problems:
Your crossbow arrow will have wear marks on the arrow shaft from the groove in the flight track. Heavier marks on either shaft side will be an indication of tiller adjustment needs and this is even more evident on the rear or nock end of the arrow. Important Note: However this can also be a sign of you cocking your crossbow incorrectly as well. Both of these problems are evident when shooting your crossbow and your arrows are scattered left and right on the target.
How To Correctly Measure Tiller:
Measure from the point where the limb meets the prod housing back to the string. Do this on each side of the prod housing. If the measurement is not equal then the crossbow is out of till.
Compound Crossbow Tiller Adjustment:
Most compound crossbows have a tiller adjustment bolt on each of the limbs and correction is as simple as turning a bolt in or out to correct the tiller adjustment, further allowing extremely fine tuning of the crossbow.
Recurve Crossbow Tiller Adjustment:
Most recurve crossbows have but one recourse of action to correct severe tiller adjusment and that is to replace the limbs of the crossbow as a matched set.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
UPSMAN

Re: MY DUMB QUESTION-TILLER

Post by UPSMAN »

At the Gawga hunt club,Tiller has a completely different definition. It usually goes something like this. "Ok Joe,it's time to tiller up so we can get this food plot planted." :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck Humor :wink: :wink: :wink:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String

Post by newbie »

UPSMAN wrote:At the Gawga hunt club,Tiller has a completely different definition. It usually goes something like this. "Ok Joe,it's time to tiller up so we can get this food plot planted." :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck Humor :wink: :wink: :wink:
And I was thinking a different meaning! I thought he was talking about himself :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

If the travel of your string from full cock to it's resting point is not center of the bow/limbs the tiller is out.
For the most part, it's at rest that you are concerned with. It can be measured by checking how square the string is to the mainframe or by looking at the dents in the string left by the latches to see if they are evenly spaced on either side of the arrow groove.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Possum

Post by Possum »

amythntr wrote:....Ok , so heard a lot about tiller issues...can someone explain exactly what this is (I think I know but :shock: :oops: )...and what to do, If your "tiller is off?"

Thanks,

Not a dumb question at all. In my way of thinking, when tiller is uneven, one limb is already more pre-loaded before the draw. On the shot with an out of tiller bow that is supposed to be center-shot i think accuracy could suffer and unnecessary torque placed on the bow. I have also a very minor tiller issue with my 330 (less than 1/16") measuring from the string to the point where the limbs meet the riser on each side.
on my vertical compound I can adjust the tiller buy adjusting the limb bolts and on my take-down recurve I have adjusted the tiller by using shims under the limb pockets depending on the location of my nock points on my bows.
I would not consider doing those things on my 330 and I don't think that less That 1/16" is a big deal as the accuracy of this bow seems almost too good to be true out to 60 yards from a bench. In a my perfect world the tiller would dead-on-perfect since the arrow is supposed to ride the center of the string.
I have 30+ years working on, tuning and shooting vertical bows, 5 years shooting crossbows and only 6 months shooting an excalibur. Hopefully some of the more experienced will help us/me out with this one.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

UPSMAN wrote:At the Gawga hunt club,Tiller has a completely different definition. It usually goes something like this. "Ok Joe,it's time to tiller up so we can get this food plot planted." :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck Humor :wink: :wink: :wink:
:shock: :? :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings