Adjustable cheekpiece for Micros / CTS style stocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

Adjustable cheekpiece for Micros / CTS style stocks

Post by shafferm »

I have been working on drawing up and printing an adjustable saddle style cheekpiece to fit the stocks that have two holes for attaching a "CTS" cheekpiece. The stock I was using for measurements is from a Micro, it should fit the Grizzly, Cub, Etc.

I printed the test version in purple, but would plan on printing the finished version in black.

Here it is in the shortest position which is adds around .2 inches.

Here it is fully extended which adds around 1.3 inches in height.

Here is the back view with some temporary screws to hold it in place. Would need to finalize the clamping hardware.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Boo

Re: Adjustable cheekpiece for Micros / CTS style stocks

Post by Boo »

Excellent Michael!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Very nice work! I have begrudgingly held off on getting a cheek piece for my Grizzly because I did not like the fact that it was only available in black. The adjustability factor is an incredible bonus. I am assuming from the pictures that a camo cheek piece will adapt to your adjustable base. Can't wait to see a finished product and would be first in line to order one!
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

BTT
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Very nice! If you build it, they will buy. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Awesome idea. I'd buy one. But I think it would be ideal if you could somehow mount the OEM cheekpieces to the adjustable one you created.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

racking up points wrote:Awesome idea. I'd buy one. But I think it would be ideal if you could somehow mount the OEM cheekpieces to the adjustable one you created.
Agreed. I had the same thought.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

I think that he has a camo cheek piece in the picture because it will be a part of the design. No reason to show it otherwise
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I drew up the cheekpiece as a replacement for the original, I was not planning on making it to attach to the original cheekpiece. You could always get it hydro dipped to get the camo pattern to match. Based on the size it would probably run about $40 or so to get it dipped.

I included the original cheekpiece with the one I printed to give a sense of scale on the printed version. You could attach the original cheekpiece to an adjustable base although to clear the original screw mounting tabs it would put the cheekpiece at a minimum height of around .850" or so. You could shift the cheekpiece away from the mid line of the bow out by 3/8" or so to get the tabs to clear and some room to attach an adjustable base. The Matrix I have is a loaner stock only. Not sure whether either option would feel that great. Likely it would put it too high for the first option, the second option shifting it to the side may work better if you want to make no modifications to the original cheekpiece. Would shifting the cheekpiece out to the side by 3/8 pull your face too far from the centerline? What height adjustment ranges would be desired?

If you are willing to grind down the tabs and drill holes in the original cheekpiece then there are more possibilities to make and adjustable base and reusing the original cheekpiece.
2002 Exomag
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Custom built lit nocks
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Not knowing much about this but I agree with 2 others above make it so I can adjust OEM cheekpiece that came with bow simple small set of whatever to attach to it ..Easy shipping ,low cost and simple to install and no weight .....
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I decided to give it a shot to allow you to use the OEM cheekpiece with my printed adjustable piece. By moving the OEM piece up and out to the side a bit you can use the printed piece to allow for adjustment. I used two additional screws to mount the OEM piece to the adjustable section. The usable range with this setup is roughly .75" to 1.5" measured from the top of the OEM cheekpiece to the top of the stock.

Here is the end view with the fasteners.

Here is the other side of the bow

With reusing the OEM cheekpiece I may be able to print this as two separate slider pieces and remove the mid section of the original 3D print. Will have to get a chance to modify the cad model and do some test prints to make sure that it does not flex too much. Would there be a strong preference for one single piece or two smaller sliders?
2002 Exomag
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Custom built lit nocks
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Just an observation but i think you should drill the top of the slot for the posts on the backside of the OEM cheekpiece to fit into. Just like they fit into the holes in the stock.

Just my $0.02

Chris
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr