Rage vs. Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Re: Rage vs. Boltcutters

Post by SEW »

Kind of on the subject. Background: I have a M380 & 405, and a BD400. Custom arrows, Zeiss scopes, etc. IOWs , they have every advantage to be accurate, and they are. I recommended to a friend to get a used Vortex (money is a barrier).
Using a Vixenmaster string, Diablos, Boltcutters and the stock scope. At 60 yds, I shot it extensively using a benchrest set up. It equaled or excelled my highly accessorized, state of the art bows. Diablos/Boltcutters are impressive. I think Excal just has things worked out.
medbill411

Post by medbill411 »

I have a Excal Grizz as well and went with the factory supplied Diablo's and the recommended 150 grain Boltcutters. Groups were great out to 40 yards which is as far as I figured I should be shooting it to kill a Southern NY Whitetail. I dropped a decent 150lb buck last Friday with it, my first crossbow kill and I was more than impressed. At 30 yards it hit right where I was aiming and was a complete double lung pass through from homemade ground blind. Buck trotted about 20 yards away and dropped stone dead in seconds. Question I have is what do you do with your broadheads after you killed something with it? The very tip of the one used is peened over just a tiny bit, guessing it hit a rock when it went into the dirt. How many times do you reuse them? Can't wait to get back in the woods to get a few doe before the season ends here in NYS, very happy with my 50th birthday present (Excal Griz)! Its gun season but the spot I am set up in here in the suburbs only allows the use of a bow or crossbow due to the proximity of houses. This is a great thread and I'll keep my eyes on it and maybe try out a mechanical one of these days but right now I'm happy with sticking with what the manufacturer's recomendations.Image
grouse

Post by grouse »

I'm one of the screw it on and go hunters L.C.B.H disparages on an earlier post. Pre-season I shoot a few target tips of the same weight as my broadheads (slick trick mags currently) at a few different ranges, then shoot one broadhead at 25 yards. The result has been the same each of the five years I have crossbow hunted (it took a little longer to sight in the first year). Bullseyes at every range and with the broadhead at 25 yds. I haven't found more tinkering to make any sense.

I have only used fixed blades and I have at least crossbow kill every year (two so far this year). I have not lost a crossbow hit deer yet. My somewhat casual approach works well for me!
axiom
350 SE
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

grouse wrote:I'm one of the screw it on and go hunters L.C.B.H disparages on an earlier post. Pre-season I shoot a few target tips of the same weight as my broadheads (slick trick mags currently) at a few different ranges, then shoot one broadhead at 25 yards. The result has been the same each of the five years I have crossbow hunted (it took a little longer to sight in the first year). Bullseyes at every range and with the broadhead at 25 yds. I haven't found more tinkering to make any sense.

I have only used fixed blades and I have at least crossbow kill every year (two so far this year). I have not lost a crossbow hit deer yet. My somewhat casual approach works well for me!

i agree and that is why i don't change ANYTHING with my set up.. i keep everything the exact same because i know it works.. i do shoot a little before season to make sure i didn't bump my scope or anything like that.. that's what i love about these excal's.. they are dead nuts accurate and dependable.. no need to tinker all summer just to get things right before season...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

Medbill:

If the point is not TOO buggered up, you can carefully file it and sharpen it back to near-original. The blades are generally not worth re-working imho and I just buy a pack of replacement blades (they usually look pretty rough after a pass-through into dirt). So in the long run, I manage to stretch out the life of the arrow, but if there's any question, I always err on the side of making sure i've got the best arrow for assuring a quick clean kill.

... oh, and congratulations. Nice buck!
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I've shot Rage for years both with my crossbow and compound. They work! They open every time. Making a poor shot and blaming the head is what you'll likely hear and read. "My cousin made a perfect heart shot. Blades didn't open, and we never found him." Your cousin hit the shoulder blade. It happens, and we have this little BIG thing inside us called pride. I think the second replay said shoot both and see which one your bow likes best. That's a good bet. I like a mechanical for size. Shoot 4-5 mechanicals and pick which one shoots best. They all will do their job if you do yours. Rage need to be babied a bit, but so does my Excalibur. If I didn't like taking care of the little things I'd hunt with a rifle.