Can I use longer bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Can I use longer bolts?

Post by XB I GO »

Is it ok to use 20” bolts in a Matrix or 18” bolts in a micro?

Is there an advantage to longer v. shorter?

We have enough money for another bow but not enough for a lot of bolts or accessories so I’m wondering if we can multi purpose what we have.

Thanks
Ekkie

Re: Can I use longer bolts?

Post by Ekkie »

Yes, you can use longer arrows. Most people don't like the tip to stick out past the end of the stirrup, because it can get more easily caught in branches or undergrowth and knock the arrow off the rail. Also, the longer the arrow shaft the more the shaft will flex on the shot, so you should be sure to test out your accuracy before you hunt with them.

Good luck,
~E
catclr

Post by catclr »

You can go longer, but as stated above more flex in arrow. That's why I went the other way on my Matrix 355, from the 18" original to 15 1/2" Spynal Tapp arrows shafts and build my own. I use the 110 gr. brass insert in front, use both feathers and vanes, and have been shooting 100 gr. hybrid heads. Will test some 125 gr. fix heads this summer. With this set up I can shoot out to 40 yds. same hole.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive shot stiffer 20 inch zombies in my Matrix model 405.i would check for accuracy though.on the other side. if your arrows are too short it can create a condition that the arrow is not long enough to be within the foot stirup area. it will allow you to put your foot in the stirup with an arrow still on the rail. ive read of stories in the past where people forgot the arrow was still on the rail and went to decock with there foot still in the stirup.be safe
catclr

Post by catclr »

foofoo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 am
ive shot stiffer 20 inch zombies in my Matrix model 405.i would check for accuracy though.on the other side. if your arrows are too short it can create a condition that the arrow is not long enough to be within the foot stirup area. it will allow you to put your foot in the stirup with an arrow still on the rail. ive read of stories in the past where people forgot the arrow was still on the rail and went to decock with there foot still in the stirup.be safe
That's a good reason to put on a DrStirrup Foot Stirrup, as if you would forget you still had a arrow on the rail, you will not put it thru your foot using the DrStirrup Foot Stirrup unit.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You can have your arrows cut down to he correct length much less expensive than buying new arrows.
At your age and with your passion I would advise you to start making your own arrows no big savings but you get exactly what you want and have every thing you need to keep your gear in good working order.
For cutting arrows this saw is wonderful.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

gerald strine wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:45 am
You can have your arrows cut down to he correct length much less expensive than buying new arrows.
At your age and with your passion I would advise you to start making your own arrows no big savings but you get exactly what you want and have every thing you need to keep your gear in good working order.
For cutting arrows this saw is wonderful.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html
Since you, your brother, and father hunt, it would not take too long to break even on all of your own arrow building supplies.
I keep my arrows for the Crossbow just long enough so that I cannot slip my foot under an arrow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

I shoot 20" out of my 355 matrix, fly great. I've never have shot anything else 😊😊
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I started shooting 22 inch FMJ out of my M405; they fell great very accurate. Now I shoot 20 inch BEE, plan on buying Zombies or Spynal Tapps they will be 20 inches. Maybe my reasoning is wrong but a longer bolt should be more stable in flight but will flex more so a stiffer bolt is needed. Remember safety first and you should be able to keep all your toes intact.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I better try what we have first and if it’s very accurate just stick with it thank you for the responses