New to Crossbow Hunting and I have a question.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gmclaney

New to Crossbow Hunting and I have a question.

Post by gmclaney »

This will be my second season with my Equinox and I keep encountering the same problem: The serving becomes frayed and starts to unravel. I have tried two dfifferent strings and it is still occuring only after about 50 shots. I am applying wax to the serving but do not know what I am doing to cause this fraying. Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not all that rare of a problem.
I'd recommend getting a string from Boo or buy a serving tool & serving and learn to replace the serving. It is not all that difficult to serve a string, but you'll never get the quality and durability that you get with a Boo string.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=18801
wabi
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Gmclaney! Image
Call Dan Miller 740-483-2312 Horizontal Archery. I had the same problem and it turned out to be a sharp trigger claw and housing on one side. Many on here can fix that problem themselves but he fixed it for me (no charge). I also learned that over-cocking the bow can accelerate the cutting process when there is a sharp edge on the trigger housing.

Take a close up picture of damage and post it and the experts will be able to help you more.
Last edited by lscha on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Might also check to see if you have a burr on the claw cutting into the serving.
Why ride when you can walk!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Learning how to reserve is the way to go.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DH

Post by DH »

Kind of sounds like you are twisting the string the wrong way, you should twist it the same direction as the serving so it will tighten the serving. When I first started shooting my Equinox I was twisting the string the wrong way and my serving was kind of getting loose and seperating. I get way more than 50 shots out of mine with or without a Boo string.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

DH wrote:Kind of sounds like you are twisting the string the wrong way, you should twist it the same direction as the serving so it will tighten the serving. When I first started shooting my Equinox I was twisting the string the wrong way and my serving was kind of getting loose and seperating. I get way more than 50 shots out of mine with or without a Boo string.
Good answer. Miller is going to tell you not to wax the center serving. I know that sounds like heresy to some, but he claims the wax softens the wraps and allows the claw to separate them leading to early failure.

It seemed to help on my Emax although I never kept a shot count. I didn't care for the 'burnt' smell, so compromised and waxed very sparingly.

I think others will agree that a properly reserved string lasts longer than a factory version. You just need to wind the wraps tighter than a 'G' string on a guitar.

Good luck!
"Eze 18:21"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum, gmclaney. I shoot a equinox as well. unfortunatley it is a sacrifice. servings for speed.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum..
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

groundpounder wrote:Might also check to see if you have a burr on the claw cutting into the serving.
If there's a mechanical issue, then this would be it. I doubt it's a twisting issue because, that doesn't cause fraying. Even if all is perfect, your serving will wear out long before your string does.

Take some tissue paper and drag it gently across the trigger claw. If it catches, then you need to smooth down. The claw that's catching . . .it will be on the same side as your frayed serving. You can easily smooth it down with a embry board. Be gentle.

Or send it to Dan.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gmclaney

Post by gmclaney »

Everyone thank you for your advice and tips I will definitly look into them and try them in an attempt to extend the life off the serving. I love my Equinox and can not wait till October 15th when bow season cranks up here in Alabama!!!