Hunting blind for wife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Hunting blind for wife

Post by B-Logger »

The good news is that my wife has finally agreed to get a crossbow! She used to always hunt with me and has killed deer too. She is an excellent shot! However, many years ago she had to stop shooting because of shoulder problems. Then it got even worse and she also had to stop rifle hunting because she could not take the recoil. But now she might get started again and I think we'll get her a Vixen. Camo though and not the pink. She'll be shooting a few times from my Exomag to get started and then if all goes well we'll get the new bow.

So, she will not hunt from a tree and we want to get one of the pop-up blinds for her. However, looking at the catalogs it appears they all use shoot through mesh and I'm not so sure that is what we want. I'm sorry but it just seems to me that would have some affect on the arrow and we have no desire to wound an animal. In addition, I might use the blind for rifle hunting too.

What would you recommend? Hopefully we could keep the cost $200 or less.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Migabby

Re: Hunting blind for wife

Post by Migabby »

You don't have to shoot thru the Mesh you can take it off it's only held on with velcrove.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

You don't have to shoot thru the Mesh you can take it off it's only held on with velcrove.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Boo String Owner
secret

Post by secret »

No "l' shaped blades through mesh,,but fixed broadheads there is No change of point of impact through mesh! i cant refer a blind at that price.but good luck shopping.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I was not aware the mesh could be removed. That is good.

I do also hunt with expandable blades so that would not work with shoot-through.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

B-Logger,

Rhino XP-1. I bought one (had a couple of Double Bulls before) and I am here to say, I have not seen a better one. I cannot remember how much it cost though...but with the silent system, removable mesh, 360 view and reinforced corners it just has it all.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

bugs wrote:I got an Ameristep Doghouse blind a few months back for $75-$80 and I think they are usually $100. A few others on here have them and they are good for a crossbow. 2 could sit in one but I think it would be a little crowded myself. Mesh can be taken out or even patially removed on each side so you have shooting holes. I use fixed bladed but didnt try shooting through it. I was kind of unsure myself. The only downfall I found with the blind was staking it. I was actually going to ask that question on here. When the clay soil cracked and got wet the blind would pull out with the high wind. I had a good location where it just blew into the shrubs but I want to use and open area for deer.

I had to get used to the stand myself last year. I got a ladder stand which has a padded seat and shooting rail so it was easier and the first few times I was nervous especially when the wind blew and I swayed but it didnt take long before I was fully comfortable harnessed in 15 ft up. I LOVE it now :D
Bugs, we don't have clay here but we do have yellow sand which is about worthless for staking a tent or blind. However, one can always use sand bags to do the trick. Give it a try.

On the Rhino blinds, I looked at their website and it has to silliest thing on there. Looking for dealers, click on Location and it brings up a map. Click on your state and a pop-up comes up and says click here. Trouble is, you can't click there! If you try putting the mouse there it simply goes to a different state with that pop-up, on and on, etc., etc. The lazyness of some programers is amazing. It makes one wonder if they ever saw the word, "debug."
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Normous

Post by Normous »

Sounds like a great wife if I may say so!
Sorry, I have not imput regarding a ground blind. I have never been in a fabric one.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Well, we've been married 48 years now!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

If she's going to be lugging the blind around herself the Doghouse is probably your best bet for size & carry weight. The hub blinds are sweet, but tend to be a bit bulkier & heavier to haul.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Like a few other members stated. "Doghouse" This is my 1st year with it. I have been using it setting up and watching my area during the preseason we are in now. It's light and easy to set up. My only problem is take down. Ever watch a Monkey hump a football?

Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I have a doghouse type I think it's a primos. its works fine for me. I even painted the Windows Black so it would appear the same open or sealed.

Folding can be a problem, but the direction work, it just feels like it going to Break. and I used regular tent stakes from Kmart better then the metal thin ones provided.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Boo String Owner
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

[quote][What would you recommend? Hopefully we could keep the cost $200 or less./quote]

For your info Dunhams has them on sale now! The dog house $69.99 and the Brickhouse %109.99
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Boo String Owner
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Check out Sportsmans Guide #WCLO-182821. It's a Primos 2 person for $40. $36 if you are a club member. I got 2 of them.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
TYE

Post by TYE »

Ameristep Brickhouse. Best blind ive hunted from. Loads of space and windows in the right places. Full 360 degree view. Very easy setup too.